New Clients - Pathways

Several Pathways are available to access assessment and gender-affirming hormonal treatment.

Pathway 1 - Your GP can refer you to the Gender Service at RBWHospital via the usual outpatient referral process ( a letter to Metro North Central Referral Hub.) This is a free public service. You will be referred back to your GP or another trans-friendly GP afterwards. 

Pathway 2 - The Brisbane Gender Clinic will see new clients who send in a referral for hormone therapy from a Psychiatrist or Psychologist. A GP summary is also required for health information at the first appointment.

Pathway 3 - The Brisbane Gender Clinic does a capped number of new client assessments per year which are booked after a GP referral alone. Ring to check if books are open before obtaining a referral, as it may be quicker for you to go to RBWH hospital
Another option is to make an appointment with Dr Tracy Schrader at Clinic 30 (Same contact details as the Brisbane Gender Clinic),who will also see new patients.

Pathway 4 Gender-experienced GPs (GP hormone prescribers) will do gender assessment at their private practices. You can book these appointments by phoning the practice. The process will always be more efficient for you if you have a letter from a Mental Health Professional for the GP. A gap will be charged on top of Medicare.



Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital has a Gender Clinic for children under 18. Children of any age can be seen by the experienced specialists at this clinic.

The child should be referred by a GP. Ask the GP to use the LCCH template.

Children should ideally be referred by the onset of puberty. After detailed assessment the clinic can provide puberty blockers, a reversible treatment.

If an older child under 18 is suitable for cross-sex hormone therapy (not a fully reversible treatment) there is no longer a legal requirement for a Family Court process.

Families are urged not to delay seeking referral for assessment. Refer as early as possible. However16 year olds and those who have just turned 17 can also be referred by their GPs

While there is a waiting list, there are active steps you/your child can take in claiming your/their gender identity. Its advised to contact a Counselor for ongoing support and to attend social groups like Jellybeans ( (link is external)).

Parents are advised to reach out and make contact with other parents through PFLAG, Gender Help For Parents and also Parents of Gender Diverse Children

Psychiatrists with expertise include:

Dr Helen Hoey

Ph: 07 3832 4241

Dr Mike Theodoros

Ph: 07 3831 7022

Dr Stephen Murphy

Ph: 07 3256 2360

Dr Greig Richardson

Ph 07 3870 5700

Dr John McAulay

Ph: 07 3463 0722

Dr Morris Bersin

Ph 07 5510 3122